Saturday, August 16, 2014

Review of Darkness by Erin Eveland

Title : Darkness

Author : Erin Eveland

Genre : YA

Series : None for the moment

Publication date : July 1st 2014

Publisher : Selladore Press

My rating : 3 out of 5 stars "Good"

Note : I received an e-copy of this book from NetGalley.



Synopsis ( from Netgalley )
One Girl. One Boy. And the Masters of Darkness. See the Shadow Creatures. They are everywhere. But you can’t run from the shadows. Or the Masters who control them.
At the age of sixteen, Catherine lives with an alcoholic mother and impoverished welfare. While searching for a way to tell her only friend Nathan of her desire for him, a hidden world starts to unfold with the coincidental meeting of a man in black, Jorgen. With this encounter, questions arise and unexplained events start to occur, causing Catherine to confront her past and an uncertain future.
Upon graduating High School, Nathan cooks at a local bar wondering how he can leave town with the girl he’s fallen in love with, Catherine. All seems hopeless until a man in black, Artros, introduces himself offering power greater than all the money that drives the world.
Ancient enemies with the power to control the Darkness and its Shadow Creatures, two Masters will fight to the death for what one girl may hold – the ultimate power of Light.

My opinion :
I first thought that this book was quite boring, I couldn't get into it and the story was moving slow. And I must say that I'm actually glad that I have this thing : when I start reading a book, I have to finish it either I like it or not ! In this case it turned out to in my favor. The book got interesting on chapter 4, when Catherine grew up, we find out that she still lives with her alcooholic mother who is a complete mess. We also learn that Catherine is in love with Nathan, the guy she met when she was 13 and we get a little passage of when she met him. Nathan loves her too, but none of them is completely sure of each others feelings, which complicates their relationship. And then there is Artros, the bad guy of the story. Artros is a master of Darkness, who we later find out that he drains power from Catherine. And finally, near the end, Jorgen ( a master of Darkness, like Artros ) explains a little bit more about « The Darkness », and honestly it is untill then that I undestood what the story really was about. Anyway the plot and story was kind of complicated for me, or maybe it was just me who wasn't too much interested about thes story.

What I liked :
What I thought was good with this book was the author's writting which is, let's be honest, pretty good, and also the fact that the the main character, Catherine, is not a little whiny girl but a strong independant person.

What I didn't like :
What I didn't like was, well, the story, I mean I just couldn't understand the main basis of the plot, it was kind of confusing at the beginning, I didn't even know what the story was about untill the end, when one of the characters ( Jorgen ) explains the « Darkness » thing.

Conclusion :
I'm giving this book 3 stars because well it had great potential, it could have been better. It was supposed to be a fast-read, but I spent 2 whole weeks reading it, even though it did get interesting I was still not fond of the story, and the ending well I guess there will be a sequel, which I will read hoping it will be better than the first one.

Recommends it : For anyone who wants something different, with a complicated plot and story.



6 comments:

  1. I have this book to review and honestly I don't know why I requested it because it's not really my taste. Oh well I hope I get something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here ! I didn't even know why I had requested it either because I don't usually read this kind of books but it was actually worth reading !

      Delete
    2. Yeah, maybe you'll like it more than I did !

      Delete
  2. Hello! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! :) http://aesaza.wordpress.com/2014/08/23/the-liebster-awards/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey !
      Thank you for nominating me ^^ I'll deal with that tomorrow :)

      Delete