Saturday, August 30, 2014

Review of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Title : The Hobbit

Author : John Ronald Reul Tolkien

Series : Prelude to the Lord Of The Rings trilogy

Genre : Fantasy

Publication date : September 21st 1937

My Rating : 3 out of 5 stars "Good"

Note : I own a copy of this book





Synopsis ( from Amazon ) :
Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely traveling any farther than his pantry or cellar. But his commitment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They have launched a plot to raid the treasure hoard guarded by Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins their quest, unaware that on his journey to the Lonely Mountain he will encounter both a magic ring and a frightening creature known as Gollum.

My opinion :
Ok. I know this is a book for children and not I'm not a child ( "surpise" ) But it was a must-read, a classic so I felt like I had to read it. I honestly wanted to read this in the fisrt place because I saw both of the movies by Peter Jackson and I'm still waiting the third one to come. I know that books are usually better than movies, but oh boy, it wasn't the case for this one. I guess I'm just too old ( yeah 17 years old is actually old ) for stories like this one.

What I liked :
The scene between Bilbo and Gollum and their riddle game, it's funny because that scene was kind of my least favorite in the movie.

"This thing all things devours,
birds, beasts, trees, flowers,
gnaws iron, bites steel,
grinds hard stones to meal,
slays king, ruins town,
and beats high mountain down"

Besides that, I found J.R.R Tolkien's writting wonderful, I really liked the way he narrated the story.

" In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort. "


What I didn't like :
Well there wasn't anything that I didn't like, however I was disappointed, why ? Well maybe because I watched the movies before reading the book and I fell in love with what was present in the movies and not in the books.
Here is a short list that pretty much sums it up :

  • Missing characters : Legolas is not present ( neither is Tauriel or Frodon or Saruman or galadriel or radagast ) knowing that Legolas is my favorite character in the movies ( including the LOTR trilogy )
  • In the movies, Barde is the one that helps the dwarves go to Esgaroth ( Lake-town ) and not to mention that he has two kids, while in the book, Barde meets the dwarves after he killed Smaug and having children is not even mentionned.
  • In the movies, Azog is not dead and inn the book, well he is !
  • In the movies, we get to see where Gandalf went and what he did while in the book he only explains few things that weren't even clear ( at least not to me ) 
  • The scene between Bilbo and Smaug is way more interesting and better in the movies than it is in the book.

Conclusion :
I think that this was worth reading, as I said earlier, it was a must-read so I was going to read it sooner or later . The only thing that I'm regretting is that I didn't read this as a child, and I know that my child-self would have loved it and would have given it five stars without hesitating, but oh well !
I will now start The Fellowship Of The Ring, hoping I won't be disappointed and it will be better.

Recommends it : For all those fantasy lovers, parents to read to their children.

P.S :  If you haven't seen the movies, then do it, trust me it's amazing, you won't regret it.



And.. if you love some kickass fighting scenes and some elf-dwarf romance, then you will, like me, love the second movie more than the book or even more than the fisrt movie.






And also if your favorite actor is Orland Bloom ( like me !!! ) or if you're just a fan, or if you just simply love Legolas then you should defintely see it.




( Sorry, couldn't resist !!! )

2 comments:

  1. I grew up both with The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit, so I cannot really judge them. It was great to see all those characters in the movies, although at first it was weird for me. You'll love the third film, I cried both of the time I watched it. It was the best of the three :)

    Aeriko @ http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually grew up with them too but just not with books but with the movies, they were a part of me ! I kinda regret I didn't read this as a child because qi 'm sure I would have loved it more !
      Oh and yeah I did watch the third movie too, it was good but I prefer the second one :)

      Delete