Saturday, August 23, 2014

Review of Odeful by Jennifer Recchio

Title : Odeful

Author : Jennifer Recchio

Genre : Poetry

Series : None

Publication date : February 27 2014

Publisher : All Night Reads

My rating : 1.5 out of 5 stars  "Bad but not awful"

Note : I received an e-copy of this from NetGalley.



Description ( from NetGalley ) :
In this collection of poems about coming of age in the modern world, critically declaimed author Jennifer Recchio takes on such thrilling subjects as math, groceries, and oil changes. The collection includes poems that have been published in online magazines such as Word Riot and Defenestration, and other poems that have never been seen before.

My opinion :
Well there is not much thing to say about this because, well, it's just poetry ! As a fan of poetry, ( and I mean by that, that I have written myself a couple of poems ), I didn't really enjoy this, why ? Well let's just say that this isn't the kind of poems that I like.

What I liked :
The only poem that I actually enjoyed : "Dangerous Things", which is a poem about poetry :

"But poetry has no ears
And it's words are more 
questions than answers"
What I also liked, and the main reason that pushed me into reading this collection of poems, was the cover ! I mean just look at it, isn't it beautiful and charming ? It gave me the impression that there is something enchanting about it ( even though it wasn't the case ! )

What I didn't like : 
Well, except "Dangerous  things", the other poems were, how can I say this ? Not good ? Not good at all ? I seriously didn't even know what the half poems were about ! And jeez some of the titles were completely meaningless ! Don't know what I'm talking about ? Here are few examples :

"Cliches Get Stuck Under Your Fingernails" 
"This is Not a Poem About How I Can't Write in Meter"
"This is Not a Poem About How My Mother Thinks I'm Fat"
"Plant and Animal Parts to be Bought and Prepared for Eating"

Seriously now ?!!

Conclusion :
I must say that this was quite disappointing; the cover and title seemed so promising. "Dangerous things" was the only reason why I gave this 1.5 stars and just 1.

Recommends it : For people who actually haven't read poetry, they might actually like it !





2 comments:

  1. The only poetry I've ever really enjoyed was poems by Langston Hughes. This actually looks like it would be a great book. Too bad you didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess this just wasn't my cup of tea!

      Delete