Sunday, July 12, 2015

Review of Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma





Title : Forbidden

Author : Tabitha Suzuma

Series : Standalone

Genre : YA-Romance

Publication date : May 1st 2010

My Rating : 3out of 5 stars " Good "

Note : I own a copy of this book ( ebook )





Blurb ( from amazon ) :
She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed.
He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future.
And now they have fallen in love.
But . . .
They are brother and sister.

My opinion : 
I had high hopes for this book! I was actually hoping that I would rate it 5 stars at the end, but nope, didn't happen. Why you may ask, and you're right to ask! So, let me explain myself...well if I can.
First of all, the whole brother-sister incest thing was, how can I say this, boring ? Oh no, annoying would be the perfect word. It's a book about incest and sane people don't support it, I know, I know, besides I knew it was about incest when I bought it ( it's not like it's not written in the blurb...). My point is, it wasn't the incest thing that was annoying but how it was expressed. Lochan and Maya were the problem for me. They should have just accepted it and moved on ( I know it's not easy but it's better than trying to avoid it...), they should have lived their lives together in secret instead of rejecting themselves ( which happened often...). That's what they eventually do but by the time it gets too late.

What I liked : 
The background story. I thought that it was touching, the whole "messed up family" thing. A father who slowly abandonned them, an alcoholic absent mother who only cares about herself ( yep, unfortunately these kind of mothers do exist...) 
I also read a bunch of reviews about this and they were all praising the writting, how it was good and stuff. To my surprise, I didn't find the writing that good, it wasn't bad of course but, let's just say it was enjoyable.

What I didn't like : 
Lochan. Does he ever stop crying ? He has a social phobia and I totally respect that and I can even understand it ( being myself shy, not same though but oh well...), but oh God just stop crying would you ?! I know that he is in a bad situation but so is Maya, and yet she doesn't cry as much as he does. He's eighteen for God's sake, he's the eldest and he is supposed to support the others and be strong, but no, everytime that something happens : he cries! I did feel sorry for him though, especially in the end. 
What also got on my nerves was Maya's " I love him so much, it hurts " thing. I think she repeated that like what...five, six times ? Or even more. We got it, it "hurts".

Conclusion : 
Not one of the greatest books I've read but I guess it was good enough since I managed to finish it. Not what I was expecting but I'm actually glad that I did read it.

Recommend it : I don't know, to people who like forbidden loves, tragic endings and all that stuff.  


4 comments:

  1. Your blog is so lovely! I just became a new follower :)
    Great review Klara!

    Myra @ I'm Loving Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this a while back and remember enjoying it, despite how sad it all was. I think it was because I expected to hate it, or find it repulsive, but I actually thought it was very tastefully done give the topic. But yes, it does sort of drag on a bit... nice review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was well made actually, but I found it really annoying at times !
      Thank you for visiting my blog :)

      Delete