Sunday, August 16, 2015

Review of Gambit by C.L Denault

Title : Gambit

Author : C.L. Denault

Series : The Prodigy Chronicles #1

Genre : YA-Science Fiction

Publication date : March 31st, 2015

My rating : 2 stars out of 5 " Boring "

Note : I received a free copy ( ebook ) from Netgalley




**This review is going to be a little different from all the others that I have written**

Synopsis ( from goodreads ) :

In Earth’s battle-ridden future, humans have evolved. Those with extraordinary skills rise to power and fame. Those without live in poverty.

Sixteen-year-old Willow Kent believed she was normal. But when a genetically-advanced military officer shows up in her village and questions her identity, long-buried secrets begin to emerge. With remarkable skills and a shocking genetic code the Core and its enemies will do anything to obtain, Willow suddenly finds the freedom she craves slipping through her fingers. Greed, corruption, and genetic tampering threaten every aspect of her existence as she’s thrust, unwilling, into the sophisticated culture of the elite Core city. To ensure peace, she must leave the past behind, marry a man she’s never met, and submit to the authority of a relentless officer with a hidden agenda of his own.

Her life has become a dangerous game. How much will she sacrifice in order to win?


My opinion :


I will try to be honest without being mean. I am pissed. Really pissed and disappointed ! Please, allow me to explain.

I saw this book on netgalley and I was instantly drawn to the cover, I read the synopsis and then I got really interested and I requested it. I got really excited when I started reading it because I actually liked it, I really did. That is until I reached the 40% of it. 
Let me explain a little more clearly
The beginning of the book was really promising, you can sense that there are things that the  main character is not telling and so it makes you want to turn the pages just to know what is going on. I also instantly loved Willow and all the other characters including Reece, not to mention that the story was very captivating and funny with Reece and Willow's conversations. 
And there I was, reading it, thinking this was going to be epic....so imagine my disappointment when it all went downhill. What happened ?! Well it started to get on my nerves, the whole freaking book. Especially Willow and Reece. Oh my god, I just couldn't stand them anymore, they were so annoying with their little romance, I mean seriously I wasn't even expecting a romance between them like at all ! And trust me I have my reasons : 

  •  There's Tem, Willow's best friend who is in love with her,  he is a lovely love interest and I actually  thought that Willow was going to end up with him, I mean he's perfect, what the hell is wrong with  Willow!?
  • The age difference ; she is 16 for god's sake and he is 23 !!!!!! Okay, I know that 7 years is not much but what I mean is that it would have been okay if she was 20 and he was 27, it would have been completely normal, or even if she was 18 but 16 ?!? Really ?!
  • Reece killed Willow's friend, he threatened her father, he manipulated her, he hurt her and she still falls in love with him....I repeat, what the hell is wrong with Willow ?!?!

             


And then there's the story, the story I firstly found very captivating turned out to be very boring !! 
So, like I said, the beginning was interesting, the middle was crap and the ending...wait what the hell happened in the ending !!? Oh, I guess I was just rushing through pages just to see it end, and I was very pleased to see the end of it.


Overall, a very disappointing book. Will I read the next one ?! Ahah, no thank you. Life is too short to spend it on reading books you don't even like !!




Recommend it : Umm...I honestly don't know. This book has some positive reviews on goodreads, but it didn't work for me, so I can't really say who's going to like it...



8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a major disappointment. I'm sorry it wasn't better. I hope your next read is way better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was ! Thank you, I hope that too :)

      Delete
  2. It's such a shame you didn't enjoy this, the synopsis is pretty good!
    And Willow does sound to be a little bit out of her mind hahaha.

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, it's what made me request it in the first place !
      Oh trust me, she totally is hehe :)

      Delete
  3. There is nothing worse than being excited about a book, loving it and then bam! The ending is just...yeah. I am so sorry that happened with this. So disappointing not to mention frustrating.
    I appreciate your honest review and I definitely think this will be one that I avoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right !? It just disappointed me way too much and yes it is frustrating !
      Well glad to hear that tou won't waste your time on this one.

      Delete
  4. What a shame the book didn't live up to your expectations!! It's terrible when you read through a glorious book only to end it feeling.. unsatisfied, confused, disappointed, and/or just feeling like it was lacking compared to the rest. It did have an interesting synopsis. And such an eye-catching cover!

    Speaking of eye-catching, you have a lovely little blog here. :) I love your header. And the Frank Zappa quote - oh my goodness, I love my books, but I rarely get to a new one. It's so sad.

    Eve
    Edge of Night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's exactly that ! The cover and the synopsis are great but they don't match with the "inside" of the book, such a shame believe me !

      Aww thank you, I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete