Sunday, August 9, 2015

Review of The Last of the Firedrakes by Farah Oomerbhoy

Title :  The Last of the Firedrakes

Author : Farah Oomerbhoy

Series : The Avalonia Chronicles #1

Genre : Ya-Fantasy

Publication date : August 15th, 2015

My rating : 3 out of 5 stars "good"

Note : I received a free copy ( ebook ) from Netgalley





Synopsis :

16-year-old Aurora Darlington is an orphan. Mistreated by her adopted family and bullied at school, she dreams of running away and being free. But when she is kidnapped and dragged through a portal into a magical world, suddenly her old life doesn't seem so bad.
Avalonia is a dangerous land ruled by powerful mages and a cruel, selfish queen who will do anything to control all seven kingdoms--including killing anyone who stands in her way. Thrust headlong into this new, magical world, Aurora's arrival sets plans in motion that threaten to destroy all she holds dear.
With the help of a young fae, a magical pegasus, and a handsome mage, Aurora journeys across Avalonia to learn the truth about her past and unleash the power within herself. Kingdoms collide as a complicated web of political intrigue and ancient magic lead Aurora to unravel a shocking secret that will change her life forever.


My opinion :

I got this book in exchange for an honest review and an honest review shall I write.
I am so disappointed with this, because this could have been easily one of my favorite books. It had everything I love in a fantasy book and it sounded perfect for me. An orphan girl that stays with her  "second" adoptive family who literally hate her. She's a loner, she has not even one friend and she's bullied. She gets dragged into a magical world where she finds out that she is actually a princess queen-to-be, but her aunt has usurped her throne and wants her dead. And so there are all those magical creatures such as fae, mage, unicorns...etc. As I said, it sounds perfect but it wasn't ! Why ? Well let's just say that there were more things that I didn't like than things I liked. 


What I liked :

The story was quite compelling, I admit it, I wanted to read more and more just to find out what was going to happen next. The world setting was pretty amazing too, all the town names, the castles, the places. As for the characters, well, Rafe was the only character I liked, he was interesting, he had personnality and, well, he was perfect as a love-interest. 

What I didn't like :

Ugh, from where do I start ?! There were a lot of things I didn't like, starting with the main character. Loving a main character is quite essential for me because, well, we are following her story. Aurora was an awful main character, she was whiny, childish and not very bright,  I also felt like she didn't talk much except for asking silly questions, all she was doing was "smile and nod". As for the other characters, I felt like they were there only to explain things, they were quite shallow.  Not to mention the insta-love, I hate insta-loves. Aurora meets Rafe when he saves her and his friends out of the dungeon, and she  immediately falls in love with him. I mean it's okay to find someone handsome and charming when you meet them and especially when they save your life, but this : 

"I could drill Kalen for information about Rafe, because I couldn’t stop thinking about him."

Excuse me, but don't you have something more important to think about, like the queen who is trying to kill you ?
And the writing, oh my the writing, I feel awful for saying this, but the writing was bad, there were a lot of useless descriptions, like the author's need of describing everything her main character is eating and mention how " delicious" it all was. But I guess all of this is forgivable since this is Mrs.Oomerbhoy's first published book. 

Conclusion :

Overall, this book had me very confused. I enjoyed it without liking it ( That sounds weird I know ) which explains the three stars. Will I read the sequel ? The answer is yes, mainly for Rafe's sake but also to see what happens next since I'm curious, and of course in the hope to see that the writing will get better.

Recommend it : Well...If you're looking for a book boyfriend and you don't mind that this is the author's first book, then you could actually love it.

12 comments:

  1. I felt the same way when I read it! I'm hoping the second will have a lot more in it, and will be better! Great review :)

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that too since it has great potential !
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. The cover on this is gorgeous and I love the synopsis! I'm so sad it didn't wow you. It sounds like it had so much potential!
    Lovely honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right !? It did have a lot of potential and that's why I am disappointed because this could have been really good !
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. That book sounds like it would've been really good, I'm sad you didn't like it!
    I also nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award, see details here: http://lessrealitymorebooks.blogspot.ie/2015/08/the-blogger-recognition-awardi.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope that I will like the second book more !
      Thank you, I'll make sure to check it out :)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one, but I did find the synopsis very appealing as you did. Insta-love is always annoying to read! Great review, though!
    I also nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award http://blowoutbooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope the next will be much better ! Insta-love is one of the worst part in a book !
      Thank you :)
      Oh I already got nominated but thanks anyway ^^

      Delete
  5. Hallelujah, your review is so on point!!!! Thank god I wasn't the only one completely disappointed with it, it seriously should have been one of the great reads of the summer right? Remove the MC and insta love and it would have been a 5 star, but Aurora drove me nuts... by the way I totally reading the next book for Rafe too ;) haha.
    This was a great honest review, loved it!
    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see I'm not the only one ! And yeah it could have been perfect but oh well I hope we will like the next one more :) yeah Rafe is like the heart of the book hehe ^^
      Thank you, glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  6. Hi there,

    Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review the book. I appreciate your honesty. :)
    I hope you will enjoy the second book more.

    Best wishes
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hii !
      Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my review, it's an honor :)

      I am definitely looking forward to reading the second one ^^

      Delete