Sunday, August 2, 2015

Review of Lumière by Jacqueline Garlick

Title : Lumière

Author : Jacqueline Garlick

Series : The Illumination Paradox #1

Genre : YA-Romantic Steampunk Fantasy

Publication date : August 11th, 2015

My rating : 4 out of 5 stars " Awesome "

Note : I received a free copy ( ebook ) from NetGalley.




Synopsis ( from amazon )

One determined girl. One resourceful boy. One miracle machine that could destroy everything.

After an unexplained flash shatters her world, seventeen-year-old Eyelet Elsworth sets out to find the Illuminator, her father’s prized invention. With it, she hopes to cure herself of her debilitating seizures before Professor Smrt—her father’s arch nemesis—discovers her secret and locks her away in an asylum.

Pursued by Smrt, Eyelet locates the Illuminator only to see it whisked away. She follows the thief into the world of the unknown, compelled not only by her quest but by the allure of the stranger—Urlick Babbit—who harbors secrets of his own.

Together, they endure deadly Vapours and criminal-infested woods in pursuit of the same prize, only to discover the miracle machine they hoped would solve their problems may in fact be their biggest problem of all. 

My opinion : 

I was mainly drawn to this book for its cover, yes yes I know, "don't judge a book by its cover" but how can someone resist a gorgeous cover such as this one? Anyway, the cover was the first "attraction", the second one was the title which is pretty cool : Lumière ( which in french means "Light" ), the description however didn't sound very promising but I ended up requesting it after reading a couple of positive reviews. As I was expecting, the first pages weren't good, the whole "Illuminator = powerful machine" was very confusing to me. To my surprise, as the book progressed a little bit to when Eyelet, the main character, grew up, piqued my interest ( why ? well you don't want spoilers now do you ?! ) and as the story was going on, I found myself caught up in the story. I also found the storyline to be original along with the characters names : Eyelet, Urlick, Smrt ( I don't even know how to pronounce that ! ). Anyway, I wasn't disappointed and I'm glad that I read it.


What I liked : 

Eyelet was a lovely main character. The middle part of the book was litterally awesome, mostly because of Eyelet and Urlick's conversation, I loved how they interacted with each other. The plot with Urlick was quiete good ( I'll leave you to that as saying more would be spoilers ). The "how much do you trust?" thing was very cute, I seriously smiled everytime someone was saying that.

What I didn't like : 

there wasn't something I didn't like in particular, but it had flaws that were sometimes getting on my nerves, like when Eyelet first sees Urlick she's like "what is he ?" and when he later talks about it she is all like "He was always perfect to me" and other stuff like that which had me roll my eyes.

Conclusion :

Overall, a book I enjoyed very much, regardless its flaws. I'm looking forward on reading the next book in the series.

Recommend it :   For fans of YA-Steampunk fantasy who are looking for an original and interesting storyline.

14 comments:

  1. I'm quite frequently drawn to books because of the cover so I completely understand! This sounds like my kind of read. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I see I'm not the only one ^^ And thank you :)

      Delete
  2. The cover is so pretty! I love steampunk-fantasy, so I'll be giving this book a try soon! Great review :)

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did ^^ Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Purdy cover! I saw this one on NetGalley but didn't download it. Steampunk fantasy is amazing! Definitely my thing, so I may have to give this book a shot. Great review, ma'am!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Iit is perfect for steampunk lovers so I hope that you will like it ^^
      And thank tou :)

      Delete
  4. Oh I just added this to my to-read list like two days ago!! It just sounds so good and I'm now more excited to read this book after reading your post :) it's great you got a copy from NetGalley! I created my account the other day, but haven't requested anything yet. Any tips on how to have more chance to get accepted?

    Just started following you, your blog is amazing!

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book so I hope you'll like it ^^
      Well I see that you have a blog and followers so that should be enough, but you should also review every book you request because it gives you more chance on being approved ;)

      And thank you, I'm glad that you like it :)

      Delete
  5. This seems pretty interesting! I'll just have to find it when it's been published :) Great review!

    New follower by GFC, I'd be glad if you did the same :)
    Aeriko @ http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you will :) and thank you ^^

      I will gladly follow you back :)

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely cover indeed! :) The crystal like necklace kind of reminds me of the cover of The Reckoning.. :) Anyway, wonderful review! :)

    P.S New follower in GFC.. Appreciate it if you could follow me back.. :) Let's discuss about books more in the future! :)
    Donita @ My Random Book thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I haven't read The Reckoning but I've seen the cover and I couldn't agree more ! Thank you :)

      Thank you, I will gladly follow back :)

      Delete
  7. Like you, I have been seeing this book around and the cover caught my eye immediately. The more I have heard, the more intrigued I became so now it's on my TBR. Oh, and I have also requested a copy too! It sounds like this was a good book and that the characters and conversations do make it worth it, even though there are some eye rolling worthy points :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this book is worth reading, so glad you requested a copy ! Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did :)

      Delete