Saturday, July 16, 2016

Review of The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Title : The Magicians

Author : Lev Grossman

Series : The Magicians #1

Genre : YA-Fantasy

Publication Date :  August 11th, 2009

Rating : ⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Good"

Note : I own an e-copy of this.




Blurb ( goodreads ) :

Like everyone else, precocious high school senior Quentin Coldwater assumes that magic isn't real, untill he finds himself admitted to a very secretive and exclusive college of magic in upstate New York. There he indulges in joys of college-friendship, love, sex, and booze- and receives a rigorous education in modern sorcery. But magic doesn't bring the happiness and adventure Quentin thought it would. After graduation, he and his friends stumble upon a secret that sets them on a remarkable journey that may just fulfill Quentin's yearning. But their journey turns out to be darker and more 
dangerous than they'd imagined.

Review :

I picked up this book because of the TV-Show, so I said I was going to read the book before I watch the show. 
I spent two whole months reading this. Well, more precisely I stopper reading it because I was busy with exams, so I picked it up where I had left it just a week ago !
I must say, the first few pages were good, we could really sense that something was going on and all that stuff and you just want to learn more. But, as Quentin enters Brakebills, things get...boring! Seriously, nothings happens for at least 100 pages, absolutely no action ! 
I can see why people were comparing this to Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia, they are absolutely right. Brakebills is Hogwarts and Fillory is Narnia, only Brakebills and Fillory are for grown-ups ! 

What I liked :

I loved the characters, they were all so real, and by that I mean that their actions, their decisions, their reaction, were all understandable. Well at least to me since we have the same age. My favorite was definitely Eliott, I loved that guy ! However, I liked Quentin too, I could absolutely understand every one of his feelings ! All of the characters were likeable, except Janet. Janet was getting on my nerves at times.
The writing was really beautiful, the vocabulary was rich and well used ! I could understand, see and feel everything the author described !
I absolutely loved Quentin's and his friends' adventure to Fillory.
I really loved how, near the end when we find out everything, when we have all the answers to our questions, everything was related and made sense. 

What I didn't like : 

There were times, as I said it earlier, things would get boring, very boring even. Like the Antarctica episode, I seriously don't know what the point of that thing was !
Quentin's time at Brakebills was passing by quickly and yet I felt like it was slow. The story was really slow paced at times. What made it boring was the fact that there wasn't enough action and very little dialogue. 
What I think was too bad was the fact that there wasn't enough magic ! The characters weren't using it a lot and even when they were we would get just brief description of what they were doing. I don't know, I mean that book's title is The Magicians, so I guess I was expecting more magic and more awesome things ! 

I recommend this to grown-ups who loved Harry Potter and Narnia when they were kids, you'll probably enjoy it ^^

xoxo


10 comments:

  1. Too bad this was boring at times. It does sound like even with the slow bits, it wasn't a bad read. Great honest review for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find it boring at times, but It wasn't a bad a reac that's for sure :)

      Delete
  2. I love Harry Potter and Narnia, but I'm not sure how I feel about it been similar in this book... No action? Little magic? That's not fun, is it? But anyway, good review! :)

    Cloe @ Mornings and Epilogues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this book was definitely not very fun, but it was pretty good near the end, so it was a good read despite everything :))

      Delete
  3. It seems like you had pretty mixed feelings about this one! It sounds like it had a hooking beginning, but the then the middle kind of fell through and dragged as things got slower. That's never fun! But it seems like a decent read that can hold a candle on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly ! It redeemed itself near the end :))

      Delete
  4. Teehee! You sound like me! I always like to read a book before the more comes out, but I do it so I'll be one up from the rest of the newbies that are just watching the movie. I always like to yell out answers and spoilers. (joking) ;) I love the aspect of Harry Potter and Narnia. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahah, yeah that just pisses people who haven't read the books off ! I just think that the movie is always better when you've read the books :))

      Delete
  5. Phew! This one seems better than your last read/review, which is good. I've not heard of this book! What's the TV show? I don't watch TV so I often miss these connections!

    Great review. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was way better than my last read, that's for sure ^^ The show is by the same name than the book : The Magicians, I haven't watched it yet so I can't tell you if it's good or not heh x)

      Delete